The Best Way To Clean Homes Where Seniors Live
I have been fortunate enough to have access to elderly people from different cultures, and I get why some people are pleased to age, while others are just scared of the unknown. Some cultures alter their lives to accommodate their elderly, while others just carry on and let the government handle the seniors. A kind government considers its seniors and does its best to give them a good life in old age, while the corrupt ones do not even pay the pensions they owe them. Whether the old ones in your lives are living with you, or chilling at the care home, there is the right way to clean their surroundings to help their health. The best situation for old people is a natural and healthy environment, and they will love to do it right in comfortable familiar surroundings like their homes. To ensure that this wish is made a reality, it is essential to provide them with a safe and healthy which remains clean and organized for ease of accessibility and remembrance. This post will run through the tips, routines and tools to achieve this for your family member who is blessed enough to age.
- 1. Declutter with a pinch of permission: One thing that accompanies old age is the sentimental items that hold memories from decades and people far gone. People that old stories and love. As much as I would love to simply ask you to go on and declutter to make the walkway as free as possible for them, it is also sensible to declutter with their permission, before you make an elderly family member cry. Start by taking out unnecessary items that can be an obstacle, a trip or fall hazard, and which can restrict mobility. Please prioritize sentimental items before you get in trouble for getting rid of the love item late Grandpa got Grandma. Photos that jerk well memories should be seen, and you have to get ready to listen to these stories every time they flow.
- 2. Get Adaptive Cleaning Tools: For ease of use, adaptive cleaning tools should be a go-to source. Invest in them to simplify your cleaning tasks. One of these is the robotic vacuum cleaner which reduces physical stress and strain during daily cleaning on seniors. Lightweight vacuum cleaners, dusters with longer handles to let them reach far, and ergonomic mops can simplify cleaning tasks.
- 3. Easily Accessible storage spaces: For every storage solution you decide on, always consider the ease of accessibility. low shelves,pull-out drawers, and labelled containers will help access things, especially daily needs. Secondly, organise items in ways that will not require excessive reaching and bending, since we are dealing with older folks whose backs and joints are likely to hurt. Lastly, use transparent containers for easy scan through and taking away the need to open to confirm what it is.
- 4. Ensure Bathroom Safety: To avoid unpleasant falls and accidents around the, ensure that grab bars are installed on the walls to the toilet and bathtub. Get non-slip mats at the bathroom and base of the bathtub to ensure safety.
- 5. Embrace Smart Home Technology: Smart technology provides convenience to cleaning tasks, it simplifies your daily life and cleaning is not exempted. People use voice-activated devices like Alexa, smart thermostats, a lighting system that comes on after a clap of hands, remotes, and smart cleaning devices that can clean up on your command. This is right for ageing homeowners who will need constant reminders and constant assistance with things.
- 6. Establish a Routine Maintenance Plan: When these seniors and their smart technologies clean as much as they can within a period, then just like everyone else, a proper cleaning that involves all around the house, should be scheduled to have a thorough cleaning by breaking down a huge cleaning task into smaller and easier ones that are manageable by the seniors.
- 7. Prioritise Senior-Friendly Household Items: When choosing household items for seniors, it shouldn’t only be about the aesthetics but the functionality for the end users who in this case are the seniors. The focus should be on the comfort and the ease of movement around, in and out of it. Some furniture comes with little storage space that can house daily used items, which will not require back-and-forth movement.
- 8. Avoid Toxic Cleaning Solutions: Considering the occupants of the home, it is only wise to use eco-friendly cleaning solutions that won’t affect the home occupants and the environment afterwards. Avoid products with strong smell that are capable of irritating the skin, eyes, and the nose.
- 9. Involve trusted people: Friends and family members, professional caregivers or cleaners, neighbours and the constant faces in their everyday lives should be involved in purchasing their cleaning products and cleaning process, as this will help them know when something is off about the house occupants. This helps the community sense that every elderly person living alone should have, should there be an emergency. So when there has been a toilet accident, this can easily be noticed and sorted.
- 10. Adjustable home: When it comes to the homes of seniors, always bear in mind that adjustment will be a reoccurring need all through the ageing and passing stages, so, remember to have the word ‘adaptability’ as you design the home. furniture should have wheels, the ability to adjust their height and weight, and floors that can easily be accessible, with ample room space for movement by foot, walking sticks/cane, wheelchairs and Zimmer frame. Pathways shouldn’t be used for storage, they should be clear of obstacles and trip hazards. The home should be able to have doors that open wider, ramps, and handrails to enable balance and prevent falls, and together they create a home that encourages independent living.
In conclusion, creating a clean, safe and healthy home for seniors, requires some thoughtful analysis, which considers individual needs and health conditions. Using tools to encourage independent living, by providing movable furniture with wheels, and adjustable heights and widths, carrying with it some storage space that limits the unnecessary back and forth for Seniors, and easily controlled smart cleaning devices which reduce their stress and stains, bringing them comfort and less help in their homes. They maintain a beautiful sense of community living as they maintain dignity and independence in their ageing stage in a familiar, clean and healthy space that they can happily call home.